I’ve seen this meme floating around the blogosphere recently, and decided to join in the fun.
1. I’m happiest when we can spend a chilled Saturday at home as a family.
2. … especially if it involves a morning of sleeping-in (very rare).
3. I’ve always wanted to travel the world. I lived in South East Asia for a few years, and took a prayer journey to Turkey in 2008, but there are so many more places on my list. I want to visit my dear friends in Australia. I want to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway. I want a proper jazzy New Orleans experience.
4. My family and I laugh a lot. My brothers have such a wacky sense of humour that it’s like watching a comedy show every time they get together. My daughters are little clowns and sometimes just have to look at each other to start laughing.
5. I was a terrible Home Ec student in high school. I still don’t know how to thread a sewing machine properly, and I never did get the hang of making a white sauce from scratch.
6. My first job was as a cashier at the local Steers when I was in matric. Free food and ice cream, and free movie rentals from Blockbuster – yay!
7. I could probably eat chocolate every day. (There’s no ‘probably’ about it. Sigh.)
8. I stole a plastic farm animal once when I was in nursery school. I was about five, I think, and so consumed with guilt that I returned it first thing the next morning.
9. I was born on the same day as Ellen Degeneres, Eddie Van Halen, Paul Newman, and a whole lot of other people I’ve never heard of.
10. My all-time favourite film is The English Patient followed closely by Chocolat. Because Ralph Fiennes and Johnny Depp.
11. I do a pretty mean spaghetti bolognese. Despite my lack of interest in high school, I am not completely incompetent in the kitchen.
12. I’m still mad at the way that the series 3 Christmas Special of Downton Abbey ended.
13. I met my husband on my first day at university. He was one of the third-year student assigned to show the newbies around the drama school. I was bummed that I didn’t get to be in his tour group, but we ended up in a music class together and after a somewhat rocky beginning, God brought us back together.
14. I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I have been broody my whole life. While pregnancy and motherhood have been nothing like I expected, I count my blessings every day.
15. I’m not afraid of spiders, cockroaches, scorpions or snakes. (Thank you, Asia.) But a Parktown Prawn will have me running for the hills.
16. I make the best of what life throws my way. I choose to be a glass-half-full kind of girl. I know that God is in control, that I can face anything with Him, and I hold to his promises for me and my family.
17. I have almost no willpower when it comes to chocolate. These days, I’m loving Cadbury’s Top Deck Bubbly.
18. I always cry when it gets to the part in Frozen where Anna sacrifices herself to save Elsa. I can’t help it. I never used to cry before I had children but pregnancy hormones did something to my tear ducts. (And I used to laugh at my mother for crying during adverts. Sorry, Mom. I didn’t understand.)
19. I love Jesus, my husband, my daughters, my family, my friends.
20. I spent more than 4 months as a vegetarian. I was one for 10 years, actually.
21. I wish my thyroid didn’t hate me.
22. At 5, I was deeply in love with The Last Unicorn, My Little Pony, my dolls and my dress-up clothes.
23. I believe if everyone had more consideration for others, the world would be a better place.
24. I can’t stand rudeness, smugness and superiority.
25. Whenever Frozen is on, I’ll watch it. I can’t help it. There’s usually a child on my lap so I can’t move anyway.