My featured blogger for August is Jozi WAHM who describes herself as a sleep-deprived chocoholic – I can relate to that!
I asked her to answer a few questions.
1. Tell us a bit about your family.
Lets see. My immediate family is a close-knit one consisting of quiet but sweet hubby A, my deep-thinking daughter ‘Noodle’ who is four and my hyper-energetic eighteen month old son ‘Squish’. Our house is an obstacle course of toys, bikes and laughing children and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
2. What have you found most surprising about motherhood?
The top three:
– I was surprised at how different the experience of raising two different children can be and at how many things I found myself doing differently when my son was born compared to when my daughter was a baby.
– That it is possible to survive on two hours of sleep a night on a regular basis. I know people always say that after kids you will never sleep again, but I under-estimated the lack of sleep deprivation that I would have, even now that they are older.
– I was surprised that it is possible to love two tiny little people.
3. What is your biggest parenting worry?
Where do I start? Crime worries me a lot, but I think my biggest worry is not equipping my kids with the ability to go out into the big world and be good, productive people who can make a positive difference.
4. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
I enjoy having a creative outlet, since my ‘real’ day job is far more serious and structured. I especially enjoy the giveaways- they make me feel like Oprah for a few seconds when I get to give something away on someone elses tab.
5. Recommend three of your favourite blogs.
It is hard to name just three. We have a lot of really good local mommy blogs. I really like your blog for a start- your girls remind me of my own daughter and we seem to have similar parenting approaches. A new one that I enjoy is Laverne Vermeulen’s Shell Shocked Mommy– she has such a way with words, making light of even the most serious of topics.
I also really enjoyed last year when all those fictional blogs were going around, like Qaanita Hunter’s ‘Diary of a Guji Girl’ and Asmaa Khan’s ‘Surviving’ (they all seemed to disappear after being published into books.
Internationally, I like Scary Mommy.
6. What do you do in your free time? (Yes, this imaginary free time that mothers have!)
I spend most of my free time with my family, but if I do get some alone time I enjoy being outdoors, exercising, reading and crafty activities.
7. What books are your favourite?
I love reading and my taste in books is quite diverse. I find myself reading a lot of non-fiction these days. However, the last books that I really enjoyed was the Divergent series (I read all three books in the trilogy last month).
8. Are you currently into any TV shows?
I don’t watch much TV except after the little ones are in bed but my current favourites are The Big Bang Theory, Grey’s Anatomy and Orange is The New Black.
9. Other than Mom, what is your job title?
I am an attorney.
10. Tell us a random fact about you that not many people know.
It is hard to believe, but most of my family, friends and others that I interact with face-to-face do not know that I am a blogger. (P.S. Jozi WAHM is not my real name- Jozi is for Johannesburg and WAHM is for Work At Home Mom).